There is no butter at all in this delicious pie bursting with apples!
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup low fat milk
- 1/2 cup Libellula Extra Virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Minute tapioca (or all-purpose flour)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 pounds apples, chopped into 1-inch pieces (9-10 cups) – I use Granny Smith
- [a Tablespoon of milk + a Tablespoon of sugar for topping]
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Combine flour, sugar, and salt in a bowl.
- Stir in milk & Libellula Evoo all at once and combine using a fork. Shape into a ball by hand.
- Divide dough in two. Shape each into a 5-inch disc. Wrap one in wax paper.
- Roll the other half between floured wax paper into a 12-inch circle and place into the ungreased pie pan. Patch where needed, trim edges, and add leftover dough to the other half.
- Refrigerate both while you prepare filling.
- Combine sugar, tapioca, and spices in a large bowl.
- Peel, quarter & core apples. Cut into 1-inch chunks.
- Stir apples into the tapioca mixture and place in prepared pie pan.
- Roll top pastry between floured wax paper and place on top. Trim or flute edges.
- Brush top with milk & sprinkle with sugar, avoiding the rim of the pastry.
- Poke about 12 slits in the top using a sharp knife. Cut out a 1/2-inch circle in the center to release steam. Place on baking sheet in case of spills.
- Cover the rim with a pie ring or foil. Bake for 50 minutes. Cool completely (about 3 hours).